You are not on your own

If you want to challenge or change something about your school
education, you might be able to make an appeal to the Tribunal. There are two ways to do this - one is called a claim and the other, a reference. If you decide you want to do this, you can get help from different people or groups. 

The Tribunal is a legal body. It is independent and has nothing to do with your school, your social work department or the NHS.

The staff at the Tribunal can help you. You can write to us, or call or email us. 

0141 302 5860

Additional Support Needs (Needs to Learn)
Health and Education Chamber
First-tier Tribunal for Scotland
Glasgow Tribunals Centre, 20 York Street
Glasgow, G2 8GT

My Rights, My Say

0345 123 2303

The Scottish Government has provided a free support service to help children aged between 12 and 15 years with their rights under the Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Act 2004. My Rights, My Say is the name of the Children’s Service. 

They provide:

  • advice and information about a child’s rights
  • advocacy to support a child to have their voice heard when talking to their school
  • independent support to make sure the child’s views are heard in formal process (such as assessments)
  • support to enhance professional practice in listening to children’s views


When pupils feel listened to, respected and included in school life, they’re more likely to do well at school. That’s why we are fortunate that in Scotland all pupils have the right to have their say about what they need to get the most out of their education. And since January 2018, pupils aged 12-15 can now be even more involved, having a direct say in decisions about their support.
Reach, an online resource which helps pupils understand their rights to be supported, included, listened to and involved in decisions at school, has created 3 new animations to help pupils feel more confident about speaking up. They are called:
• It’s not easy to talk
• Help to make your voice heard at school
• Your rights, your say
The films also signpost pupils to ‘My Rights, My Say’, a service which can help children aged 12-15 share their views about the support they need and have a say when decisions about their learning and support are made.
Zain a pupil involved in making the films, believes that “the messages [in the films] for young people are really important if they are struggling, so they know that help is available.”
To view the films visit Reach at


0345 123 2303

Enquire is the Scottish advice service for additional support for learning.  Enquire has lots of practical advice and information about the education and additional support needs system in Scotland. 

Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS)

0808 800 0082
TEXTPHONE 0808 800 0084

The helpline advises and assists people on issues relating to equality and human rights. 

You can also write to them at: